Communication Specialist - FloridaJuly 25, 2017
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 062317-2
POSITION TITLE: Communication Specialist
ASSIGNMENT: Florida Region
REPORTS TO: Director
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
Supporting the Communications Coordinator and Organizing team
• Work with New Organizing staff to quickly and efficiently accommodate their campaign communications needs.
• Write, edit and produce direct mail, flyers, brochures and other literature.
• Follow through with vendors to ensure purchase order process is followed and bills are paid in a timely manner.
• Help organizers create one page flyers for facility distribution
• Write, edit and distribute press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds.
• When needed, make outreach calls to reporters and cultivate relationships with media.
• Train workers and staff to be effective media spokespeople.
• Write, edit and produce newspaper and radio ads and other paid media.
• Coordinate the placement and payment process for ads.
• Conceptualize, shoot and edit videos or coordinate with outside video vendors to produce campaign videos.
• Work with designer to create and maintain websites, text messaging campaigns, social networking and other new media.
Signage and promotional materials
• Create effective messaging and concepts for signage and promotional materials for our campaigns.
• Coordinate the ordering and payment process for promotional items.
• Coordinate logistics and purchasing for events and press conferences.
• Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources.
• Excellent inter-personal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment.
• An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills.
• Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes.
• Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
• BA or higher.
• At least 2 years experience working in communications for a progressive political campaign, non-profit organization or union.
• Proficiency in word and excel and ability to learn media database technology required.
• Experience with design programs, shooting and editing video and taking good quality photos preferred.
• Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in the title and every position does not necessarily require the same duties.
All interested persons meeting the minimum qualifications are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter to the Staff Support Department – Located on the 4th floor of the 311 building.
1199/SEIU is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY: 9/17/2017