Organizer - Hudson Valley, NYAugust 23, 2022
Hudson Valley NY
YEARLY SALARY RANGE
$60,000 - $66,000
Competitive Benefit Package Offered
NO. OF POSITIONS
About 1199SEIU UHWE
With over 450,000 members throughout Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida, and Washington, DC, 1199SEIU is the largest and fastest-growing healthcare union in the nation. Since our founding in 1932, our mission has been to stand up for quality healthcare, good jobs and social justice for all. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called 1199 his favorite union and referred to us as “the authentic conscience of the labor movement." Over the years 1199 has won some of the highest standards for healthcare workers in the country, including good wages and benefits, safe staffing, paid time off, secure retirement, model childcare and education benefits and a real voice work in the workplace. Our members are highly politically engaged and active, so we have the strength to advocate with government and elected officials for our patients, families and communities. We are affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) which has over 2 million members and is the largest labor union in North America.
- Represents members at 3rd step grievance hearings; prepares 3rd step grievance and conducts a general investigation of the case.
- Leads chapter meetings.
- Assists with delegate training
- Identify and develop rank and file leadership
- Interpret and enforce the collective bargaining agreement.
- Walk halls of institution to demonstrate a Union presence to both the members and management.
- Form joint employer/Union committees to ensure CBA is followed
- Conduct new member orientation
- Attend and assists with leadership trainings as well as delegate trainings
- Attend and participate in staff and team meetings.
- Convenes and present case(s) to the Hearing and Appeals Board.
- Distributes all Union leaflets, bulletins and information in institutions amongst delegates and
- Serves as a liaison between leadership and delegate body/membership.
- Plays a major leadership role in the institution to create an effective Labor Union movement,
develop and strengthen delegate structure by setting up committees in which delegates and
- Write up chapter reports, grievance reports, arbitration requests and withdrawals
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Previous experience with a Healthcare institution as a Union Organizer, Delegate or Activist preferred.
- Should be well Organized and commit to building the Union
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently, solves problems, and manages time and priorities.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Good listener; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in the title and every position does not necessarily require the same duties.
All interested persons meeting the minimum qualifications are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com.
1199/SEIU is an equal opportunity employer.