Political Coordinator - Florida RegionAugust 19, 2022
$60,000 - $80,000
The Political Coordinator is responsible for developing, coordinating, and implementing the Union’s Political and Legislative Program for the Florida Division. The primary goals of the Political and Legislative Program include building the political power of the members of 1199SEIU and advancing the Political Action programs of the Union. The Political Coordinator aids support mobilizations and Union wide campaigns. The Political Coordinator will work with the Florida Division Director, officers and organizers from the Division and the Union’s Political Action Department to carry out their responsibilities and develop their skills.
• Builds and maintains positive and respectful relationships with Union officers, elected officials, community and labor leaders, and other potential coalition partners. Effectively advocates the Union’s positions.
• Monitors the legislative process to identify legislation that impacts members of 1199SEIU, the patients they care for and working families in Florida. Develops member mobilization strategies to oppose or advance legislation, often but not exclusively in coordination with the Florida SEIU State Council. Oversees the recruitment and training of members for grassroots lobbying, legislative hearings and other activities related to the Union’s program.
• Identifies electoral races where the outcome will impact the Union’s goals and programs. Coordinates and leads the state’s electoral efforts.
• Supports chapter and new organizing campaigns in developing strategies to gain the support of elected and community leaders.
• Tracks and manages regular member voter registration and PAC sign-up campaigns.
• Provides briefings and education materials for staff and members around legislative and electoral work.
• Oversees the recruitment, training, and participation of “lost time” MPOs and member volunteers in election campaigns.
• Oversees the development of a permanent cadre of member activists.
• Takes initiative, following direction and completing assigned tasks successfully and on time. Prepares adequately and arrives on time for meetings. Maintains an appropriate professional appearance.
Relevant political experience or college degree must have experience in managing political, labor, government, or advocacy programs. Candidates should have experience with electoral campaigns, targeting and field experience preferred. Excellent written and verbal communications skills required. Must be a team player, organized, able to handle multiple priorities and work well under pressure with critical deadlines. Must have demonstrated ability to lead and manage staff. Commitment to social justice and labor unions a must. Ability to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends. Candidates must maintain a valid state driver license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by
employees in the title and every position does not necessarily require the same duties.
All interested persons meeting the minimum qualifications are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1199SEIU is an equal opportunity employer.