Silent Vigils Urging Hazard Pay For Frontline Healthcare Workers Will Be Held at Westchester Medical Center Health Network Hospitals Throughout The Hudson ValleyMay 14, 2020
Contact: Mindy Berman - 518.229.0486 | Stuart Marques - 917.273.6194
WHAT: After several meetings and thousands of petition signatures were presented to Westchester Medical Center administrators, the healthcare employer is still refusing to provide frontline staff with any form of hazard pay for their work during the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic.
WHO: Frontline healthcare workers in every job category ranging from RNs to technicians, lab staff and environmental services.
WHEN/WHERE: THURSDAY. MAY 14
• Noon: Good Samaritan Hospital, Suffern, Route 59
• Noon: Bon Secours Community Hospital, Port Jervis, Main Street
• Noon: Compass Group/WMC, 100 Woods Rd. Valhalla, on the grass, across the street from building and circle area
• 1 p.m.: OWS/WMC, 100 Woods Rd. Valhalla, on the grass, across the street from building and circle area
• 1 p.m.: HealthAlliance Hospital, Kingston, Broadway
• 3 p.m.: MidHudson Regional Hudson, Poughkeepsie, down the hill from the E.R.
This is a silent vigil. There will be no chanting and no milling around. Photo opportunities are available within the first 30 minutes of the start. The caregivers will be on their breaks, and will be returning to work within that half hour. The vigil will follow all public health laws that have been instituted during the pandemic. All participants will be wearing masks and will be standing at least 6 ft to 10 ft apart.
Under these circumstances, it may not be possible to interview the participants. However, 1199SEIU will arrange phone/Zoom/etc interviews by request. (518.229.0486 or 917.273.6194)
1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest and fastest-growing healthcare union in America. We represent over 450,000 nurses and caregivers throughout Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Florida. Our mission is to achieve quality care and good jobs for all. For more information: https://www.1199seiu.org/ Please check out https://1199onthefrontlines.org/