1199SEIU Healthcare Workers, Members of Citizen Action and Community Leaders Will Deliver Valentines To Congresswoman TenneyFebruary 13, 2017
For Immediate Release:
Contact: Mark Spadafore | 315.744.3555
“Have a heart Claudia Tenney! Show us a real plan to keep Americans covered before you vote to take away the healthcare we count on!”
WHAT: Media Opportunity: Community leaders will be calling on newly-elected Congresswoman Claudia Tenney to not vote for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, without a plan in place. This is part of a growing effort across the state and the country; working people and healthcare advocates are calling on their Congressional representatives to make affordable health care a priority.
WHEN: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.
WHERE: 555 French Rd., New Hartford
WHO & WHAT: Labor, community groups, grassroots activists and others will deliver very special Valentine's Day cards to Congresswoman Tenney.
IMPACT OF REPEALING AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE WITHOUT A PLAN IN PLACE
• 84,723 Central New York residents will be at risk for losing healthcare coverage.
• Central New York counties will potentially lose $25 million in state funding. That means less money for police, schools, and other essential county services – or higher taxes to make up the shortfall.
• Over 4,000 jobs will be at risk in Rep. Tenney’s district, 131,000 statewide.
• Premiums are likely to double for the 20,000 Central New York residents who buy private insurance on ACA exchanges.
• Seniors will lose $700 in Medicare coverage for prescription drugs.
• While New York continues to battle a heroin epidemic, the fight against opioid and other drug addictions will be devastated by funding loss.
• Reduction in Medicare payments to every hospital, nursing home, and home health agency in Central New York.
• Hospitals in Rep. Tenney’s district could lose up to $42 million per year in federal funding.
• Statewide, hospitals could lose up to $2 billion per year in federal funding.
1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest and fastest-growing healthcare union in America. We represent over 400,000 nurses and caregivers throughout Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Florida. Our mission is to achieve quality care and good jobs for all.